Hugz R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hugz R Us

Need a hug? No matter what you're dealing with, there's plenty of Hugz to go around.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lupus affects the heart and lungs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jsr4711

jsr4711

Number of posts : 636
Kudos : 124
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Lupus affects the heart and lungs Empty
PostSubject: Lupus affects the heart and lungs   Lupus affects the heart and lungs Icon_minitime26th February 2009, 07:42

From the Lupus Foundation of America

The heart and lungs are frequently affected in people with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Complications in these organs can cause a variety of problems, ranging from mild to serious or even life-threatening. These complications are known as cardiopulmonary (cardio = heart; pulmonary = lung).

It is very important to know the differences between cardiopulmonary complications and non-lupus related problems. The medical examination and laboratory and other tests will help to determine the cause of the problem so appropriate therapy can be used.

Types of Heart or Lung Involvement in Lupus
When investigating a person with cardiopulmonary symptoms, a number of possible causes must be considered. Some problems that can occur in SLE are:

Pericarditis: inflammation of the lining of the heart
Myocarditis: inflammation of the tissue of the heart
Coronary vasculitis: inflammation of blood vessels in the heart
Pleuritis: inflammation of the sac around the lung
Pneumonitis: inflammation of the lung
Pulmonary emboli: blood clots in the lung
Other possible cardiopulmonary problems

Heart and lung problems that are not necessarily lupus-related include:

Infectious pneumonia: inflammation of the lung due to an infection
Esophageal spasm: spasm of the section of the digestive tract leading from the mouth to the stomach
Reflux esophagitis: inflammation of the esophagus due to backflow of contents of the stomach into the esophagus
Costochondritis: inflammation of the cartilage of the ribs, usually around the breast bone

Cardiac (Heart) Involvement
Lupus can involve all parts of the heart:

Pericardium: sac surrounding the heart
Myocardium: muscle layer of the heart
Endocardium: lining of the inside of the heart
Coronary arteries that take blood to the heart
Pericarditis
Pericarditis, or inflammation of the sac around the heart, is the most common heart involvement in people with lupus. This condition occurs when antigen-antibody complexes-also known as immune complexes-are made during active lupus and cause inflammation within the pericardium.
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

Number of posts : 1043
Kudos : 538
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Lupus affects the heart and lungs   Lupus affects the heart and lungs Icon_minitime26th February 2009, 11:53

Thank you so much for posting all of this info, Jacki! I've had a couple of blood clots. One in my lungs last year. I have problems with the smaller coronary arteries in my heart..that's why I start this new procedure next week to hopefully create new blood vessels in the heart which will make a new blood supply and increase my oxygen. Also, in '96 I went into congestive heart failure with acute pulmonary edema and only had 40% oxygen in my body. The doc said had we waited another 5 minutes to call 911, I would have died. It's been a scary ride, but thank God...I'm still on the track! I'm the type of patient that is not satisfied with an answer that makes no sense...so I do lots of research and make the doc explain it to me. If it doesn't make sense to me..it can't make sense to him either. Thanks a bunch! love
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michellealainemoore
terry

terry

Number of posts : 2498
Kudos : 263
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Lupus affects the heart and lungs   Lupus affects the heart and lungs Icon_minitime26th February 2009, 15:41

group hug Michelle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lupus affects the heart and lungs   Lupus affects the heart and lungs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lupus affects the heart and lungs
Page 1 of 1