Hugz R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hugz R Us

Need a hug? No matter what you're dealing with, there's plenty of Hugz to go around.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Intro to Lupus

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jsr4711

jsr4711

Number of posts : 636
Kudos : 124
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime22nd February 2009, 14:54

From the Lupus Foundation of America

Introduction to Lupus
Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can affect various parts of the body, including the skin, joints, heart, lungs, blood, kidneys and brain. Normally the body's immune system makes proteins called antibodies, to protect the body against viruses, bacteria, and other foreign materials. These foreign materials are called antigens.

In an autoimmune disorder like lupus, the immune system cannot tell the difference between foreign substances and its own cells and tissues. The immune system then makes antibodies directed against itself. These antibodies -- called "auto-antibodies" (auto means 'self') -- cause inflammation, pain and damage in various parts of the body.

Inflammation is considered the primary feature of lupus. Inflammation, which in Latin means "set on fire," is characterized by pain, heat, redness, swelling and loss of function, either on the inside or on the outside of the body (or both).

For most people, lupus is a mild disease affecting only a few organs. For others, it may cause serious and even life-threatening problems. Although epidemiological data on lupus is limited, studies suggest that more than 16,000 Americans develop lupus each year.

The Lupus Foundation of America (LFA) estimates between 1.5 - 2 million Americans have a form of lupus, but the actual number may be higher. More than 90 percent of people with lupus are women. Symptoms and diagnosis occur most often when women are in their child-bearing years, between the ages of 15 and 45.

In the United States, lupus is more common in African Americans, Latinos, Asians, and Native Americans than in Caucasians.
Back to top Go down
Lost One

Lost One

Number of posts : 1835
Kudos : 253
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime22nd February 2009, 15:32

Wow Jacki thanks for explaining that. Hugz Michele here 4U
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

Number of posts : 1043
Kudos : 538
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime22nd February 2009, 15:53

Wouldn't ya know it..I'm one of the few white paddies to get this... faint
Thanks a million, Jacki for this...you're a doll love
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michellealainemoore
terry

terry

Number of posts : 2498
Kudos : 263
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime22nd February 2009, 20:30

group hug group hug Michelle I hope you don't flare love
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime22nd February 2009, 20:46

terry wrote:

That's what's happening now..I'm flaring and miserable...but I WILL SURVIVE! cry stamp
Back to top Go down
terry

terry

Number of posts : 2498
Kudos : 263
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime22nd February 2009, 21:00

AlwaysHopeful wrote:
terry wrote:

That's what's happening now..I'm flaring and miserable...but I WILL SURVIVE! cry stamp

Damn straight, I'll kill you if you don't! love
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime22nd February 2009, 21:09

Gee...thanks I think.... roll eyes
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

Number of posts : 636
Kudos : 124
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime23rd February 2009, 13:22

The more we know about lupus the more we understand what you are going through Michelle. I'll post what info I can find, a little at a time. Hope you are feeling better. Let us know what the doc tells you today, please.

Hugz and prayers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Intro to Lupus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro to Lupus   Intro to Lupus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intro to Lupus
Page 1 of 1