Hugz R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hugz R Us

Need a hug? No matter what you're dealing with, there's plenty of Hugz to go around.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is post-traumatic stress disorder?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Heather

Heather

Number of posts : 1975
Kudos : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-24

What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Empty
PostSubject: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?   What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Icon_minitime12th February 2009, 17:50

I thought this was a good article just explaining PTSD!!

Post-traumatic stress disorder develops after a terrifying ordeal that involved physical harm or the threat of physical harm. The person who develops post-traumatic stress disorder may have been the one who was harmed, the harm may have happened to a loved one, or the person may have witnessed a harmful event that happened to loved ones or strangers.

Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

Number of posts : 1043
Kudos : 538
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?   What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Icon_minitime12th February 2009, 18:19

Very good explanation. I had a psychiatrist tell me once that 90% of his patients who were abused severely as children had PTSD, and subsequently also had Fibromyalgia because they never slept deeply at night when they were children. Because of that, their nerve endings never rested, so they wore down over time and the Fibromyalgia developed. PTSD is a very real problem. I didn't begin to realize mine until I was 29 and my memories of my childhood began to flood back...this seemed to be the age where I was emotionally able to deal with them. I think it may be different for everyone. I sat up all night with John...just remembering and remembering, and he sat there silently listening to everything I told him, knowing he could do nothing about it because it was my pain that I had to work through. Eventually, I was able to speak with both of my parents about it and get some sort of closure. Nothing will ever take it away because it was so wrong, but at least to hear someone say they were wrong in what they did to you makes such a huge difference. We put memories away as a child, thinking things like, "if only I weren't such a bad little kid, this wouldn't have happened, or Daddy wouldn't have gotten so mad." It's important that, when we are ready, we reexamine these areas as adults and put the memories to bed with an adult's outlook.
Thanks for sharing this, Heather love
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michellealainemoore
Lost One

Lost One

Number of posts : 1835
Kudos : 253

PostSubject: Re: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?   What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Icon_minitime12th February 2009, 20:12

Sometimes I wonder if I have this along with BP. I can't talk about it now thought. Too triggering redface
Back to top Go down
terry

terry

Number of posts : 2498
Kudos : 263
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?   What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Icon_minitime12th February 2009, 20:48

Lost One wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if I have this along with BP. I can't talk about it now thought. Too triggering redface

No red face for this Lost One, we all under stand love I probably have some of the same triggers sob
Back to top Go down
Heather

Heather

Number of posts : 1975
Kudos : 5

PostSubject: Re: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?   What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Icon_minitime12th February 2009, 22:45

here 4U For Lost One....you know we're here if/when your ready!!
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

Number of posts : 1043
Kudos : 538
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?   What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Icon_minitime12th February 2009, 23:58

group hug Lost One
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michellealainemoore
Doc Mike

Doc Mike

Number of posts : 2102
Kudos : 308

PostSubject: Re: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?   What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Icon_minitime13th February 2009, 08:01

Quote :
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a real illness. You can get PTSD after living through or seeing a traumatic event, such as war, a hurricane, rape, physical abuse or a bad accident. PTSD makes you feel stressed and afraid after the danger is over. It affects your life and the people around you.

PTSD can cause problems like

* Flashbacks, or feeling like the event is happening again
* Trouble sleeping or nightmares
* Feeling alone
* Angry outbursts
* Feeling worried, guilty or sad

PTSD starts at different times for different people. Signs of PTSD may start soon after a frightening event and then continue. Other people develop new or more severe signs months or even years later. PTSD can happen to anyone, even children.

Medicines can help you feel less afraid and tense. It might take a few weeks for them to work. Talking to a specially trained doctor or counselor also helps many people with PTSD. This is called talk therapy.

When you're ready Lost One. You can post in the private forum if you want thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is post-traumatic stress disorder?   What is post-traumatic stress disorder? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1