Hugz R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hugz R Us

Need a hug? No matter what you're dealing with, there's plenty of Hugz to go around.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When to fight or rest?

Go down 
+3
jsr4711
terry
Nickey
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nickey

Nickey

Number of posts : 132
Kudos : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-24

When to fight or rest? Empty
PostSubject: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime1st November 2008, 15:47

When dealing with anxiety, how do I determine the line between giving myself the rest I need and not letting anxiety rob me of living?

I'm dealing with a lot of pain and pretty fragile at the moment (my therapist told me to rest), but I still have some commitments that are important to me, and I don't want anxiety to keep me housebound. I usually choose the least stressful and force myself to do that- i.e yes to coffee, yes to movie, NO to party, no to volunteering somewhere extra.

I have an event tonight that will be stressful, but I feel guilty making up an excuse. ~sigh
Back to top Go down
terry

terry

Number of posts : 2498
Kudos : 263
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime1st November 2008, 16:02

group hug Nickey, I usually go drag myself there a few minutes late and leave early....I know it isn't the right thing to do, but at least you have shown up....and if you leave early with a "headache" everyone understands love group hug
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

Number of posts : 636
Kudos : 124
Registration date : 2008-10-17

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime1st November 2008, 16:44

Hey Nickey, you have no reason to feel guilty for telling people "I'm sorry, but I am just in too much pain today and the doctor has advised me to rest". Some days the less stressful situations are a major accomplishment. Other days the more stressful situations are easier to deal with. Just take each day and each situation one at a time. The fact that you are going for coffee and going to the movies shows that you aren't letting the anxiety keep you housebound. With anxiety those things can be very hard to do...great job for getting out and doing them.
Jacki
Back to top Go down
terry

terry

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime1st November 2008, 21:04

jsr4711 wrote:
Hey Nickey, you have no reason to feel guilty for telling people "I'm sorry, but I am just in too much pain today and the doctor has advised me to rest". Some days the less stressful situations are a major accomplishment. Other days the more stressful situations are easier to deal with. Just take each day and each situation one at a time. The fact that you are going for coffee and going to the movies shows that you aren't letting the anxiety keep you housebound. With anxiety those things can be very hard to do...great job for getting out and doing them.
Jacki

Listen to Jackie, she is much wiser than I am; what I said is probably why I have chronic fatigue faint
Back to top Go down
Heather

Heather

Number of posts : 1975
Kudos : 5

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime1st November 2008, 23:40

Me time is important....don't ever think of it as an excuse love thinking of you!!
Back to top Go down
Lost One

Lost One

Number of posts : 1835
Kudos : 253

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime4th November 2008, 07:08

Sorry I just saw this Nickey. How'd it go here 4U
Back to top Go down
terry

terry

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime4th November 2008, 13:17

group hug Nickey
Back to top Go down
Nickey

Nickey

Number of posts : 132
Kudos : 0

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime4th November 2008, 20:28

Thanks everyone. I did go to my obligation as expected. I have to learn to say no sometimes. But, on the other hand, I don't want to be a hermit. Some days I feel like I just can't win sob
Back to top Go down
terry

terry

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime4th November 2008, 20:51

group hug
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime8th November 2008, 10:12

The girls have two birthday parties to attend today. One I can handle easily, it's family and friends. The other I'm already stressing about. It's for one of Em's school friends, and I don't know any of the parents who will be there. I can't just cancel, that won't be fair to Em. It's her first party with school friends, and she is sooo excited about going. I've been doing deep breathing and am going to give myself bruises from the rubberband, but I will get through this.
Back to top Go down
Lost One

Lost One

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime8th November 2008, 11:08

Yes you will Jacki. Keep saying "I can do this". It works for me. here 4U
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime8th November 2008, 20:59

I made it through both parties!
Back to top Go down
Brianna
Admin
Brianna

Number of posts : 2402
Kudos : 182
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime8th November 2008, 21:47

Sorry I haven't been around to support you all. Jacki I'm so glad you made it through here 4U
Back to top Go down
https://hugzrus.aforumfree.com
jsr4711

jsr4711

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime9th November 2008, 17:54

Thanks Brianna. I'm proud of myself. I only had one rough patch during the first party when my car was blocked in for about half an hour. But I made it without having a major panic attack.
Back to top Go down
Heather

Heather

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime9th November 2008, 19:05

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
terry

terry

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime9th November 2008, 22:56

Yay Jackie! I am sorry I was't here to help you this weekend group hug but I am glad you made it through love Now, rest up for next week.... thumbs up
Back to top Go down
mustang302

mustang302

Number of posts : 1806

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime10th November 2008, 08:55

yes io overload myself with positive thought, driving is getting better, but i have got a ways to go, but baby steps............
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime10th November 2008, 15:33

baby steps are all we can do Ed. And it takes a lot of courage and strength to take those baby steps on a daily basis. I'm so glad that driving is getting better for you. I'm a white-knuckled nervous wreck driver, but I force myself to do it because I'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle on a rapidly disappearing raft without being able to drive. I live way out in the county where nothing is within walking distance and the nearest store is several miles away.
Back to top Go down
Heather

Heather

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime10th November 2008, 17:47

Yes...not being able to drive sometimes isn't a choice!!
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime11th November 2008, 08:56

You're right Heather, it isn't always a choice. Some days it takes me several hours to talk myself into driving. And when I know I have to drive somewhere I stress about it for days. I keep going over which route I'll take, how much time I need to get there, which intersections scare me, can I go another way... I make myself squirrely about it. Wish I could tell my mind to just shut up and have it listen!
Back to top Go down
terry

terry

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime11th November 2008, 15:20

Yeah, I have the same thing, it's 53 miles to town.....I have to work up to it some days.... faint
Back to top Go down
Brianna
Admin
Brianna

Number of posts : 2402
Kudos : 182

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime12th November 2008, 11:56

And now I'm driving 150 miles a day sometimes sob
Back to top Go down
https://hugzrus.aforumfree.com
terry

terry

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime12th November 2008, 21:13

Brianna wrote:
And now I'm driving 150 miles a day sometimes sob

group hug Look into long term disability insurance? faint
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime27th November 2008, 07:50

Nickie, how are you doing? We miss hearing from you. group hug
Back to top Go down
Lost One

Lost One

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime27th November 2008, 14:28

Happy Thanksgiving Nickey turkey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When to fight or rest?   When to fight or rest? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When to fight or rest?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next