Hugz R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hugz R Us

Need a hug? No matter what you're dealing with, there's plenty of Hugz to go around.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Growing Tomatoes in Containers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lost One

Lost One

Number of posts : 1835
Kudos : 253
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Growing Tomatoes in Containers Empty
PostSubject: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime23rd April 2009, 18:16

I am looking for tips on growing tomatoes in containers. I start with seedlings and have not had much success. I want to try again and have seedlings coming. Any advice? I may have used too small a pot before.

I only have a small spot so I can't do it outside sob
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

Number of posts : 1043
Kudos : 538
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime23rd April 2009, 19:17

The most important thing is water, water, and more water. With containers..the water drains out quickly. Also, use fertilizer granules specifically for veggies like 'maters. When I grow them in a pot, I put the hose on a slow drip so that the roots get a nice, long soaking. This year, we're planning on trying the upside down method so that the roots get more water. Make sure your leaves don't get wet, especially in the hot sun. That's about all I know on it. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michellealainemoore
terry

terry

Number of posts : 2498
Kudos : 263
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime24th April 2009, 13:00

I love tomatoes big grin
Back to top Go down
Brianna
Admin
Brianna

Number of posts : 2402
Kudos : 182
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime24th April 2009, 18:48

I live in PA but the only tomatoes I eat are Jerseys. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
https://hugzrus.aforumfree.com
Lost One

Lost One

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime27th April 2009, 06:27

Thanks for the help, I forgot I posted this. My mom and I are going this weekend and buy some. I know I can do this big grin
Back to top Go down
Brianna
Admin
Brianna

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime4th May 2009, 06:40

Well how did it go? Did you get them in? Do we have baby tomatoes yet? big grin
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime4th May 2009, 09:32

belly laugh
Back to top Go down
Lost One

Lost One

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime5th May 2009, 19:50

They're in. They're not doing anything yet dunno
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime6th May 2009, 01:09

Why not? You should at least have 50 tomatoes each by now! hysterical
Back to top Go down
Lost One

Lost One

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime8th May 2009, 18:22

Oh my goodness I hope you're kidding. They're just little babies. faint
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime8th May 2009, 23:55

I am...just being ornery! big grin I told my hubby John what I had said and he said to tell you he gave me a stern rebuke for telling you such a whopper!
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

Number of posts : 636
Kudos : 124
Registration date : 2008-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime9th May 2009, 08:19

got my tomato plants on wednesday...gonna try to get them in the hanging pots today - along with taking Mrs. B to dunkin donuts and to visit a friend, mowing the lawn (if the rain holds off), finishing the laundry and keeping the girls busy when they get home. Yikes...I'm getting more tired thinking about it all!
Back to top Go down
Brianna
Admin
Brianna

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime9th May 2009, 09:36

And you're making me tired faint
Back to top Go down
Lost One

Lost One

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime9th May 2009, 10:47

Heavy sigh of relief, I thought I should have babies by now. faint

Have fun Jacki and get some rest when you get back. love
Back to top Go down
AlwaysHopeful

AlwaysHopeful

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime9th May 2009, 11:52

Jacki..you amaze me with all that you accomplish! Lost One...you make me laugh...you'll have your tomato babies soon...well...soon enough!
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime10th May 2009, 11:24

well, I got Mrs. B to dunkin donuts and got the lawn mowed. I had the kids "help" rake up the areas that were really thick with clippings (filled the dump trailer 4 times!) and we took two loads to my sisters to divide up among the 5 horses. We gave one and a half trailers full to the farm across the road from us and I used the rest for mulch. We still have one section of the yard left to do but I was just hurtin to badly to even think about it. I never did get to the laundry or tomatoes.

The kids played on the trampoline for a while, I sprayed them with the hose while I was filling the ducks pool. I even let them take turns sitting on my lap and steering the riding mower around the yard. They love doing that but it's brutal on me! Yes, the mowing deck was off! :)

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to the tomatoes...gotta get at least one load of wash done today.
Back to top Go down
Lost One

Lost One

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime10th May 2009, 12:14

That sounds like so much fun riding around on a mower. You mean the ducks have their own pond.

Talk about a lucky duck big grin
Back to top Go down
jsr4711

jsr4711

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime10th May 2009, 12:20

we have a little wading pool that we keep full of fresh water for them Lost One. Every day I have to drain, wash and refill it...they get it pretty dirty real fast. Not only the two that have moved in to my yard, but the other 4 that still live across the road so it gets pretty yucky with 6 ducks bathing in it every day.
Back to top Go down
Brianna
Admin
Brianna

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime10th May 2009, 17:10

Check out the Yuku board Jacki big grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growing Tomatoes in Containers   Growing Tomatoes in Containers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Growing Tomatoes in Containers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hugz R Us :: The Romper Room :: Home and Garden Talk-
Jump to: